Monday 16 June 2008

biology

Just a few nights ago, I sat in a kebap shop having a conversation with some of my biologically (so I assume) male friends. It involved the proper preparation of cous-cous. The discussion became heated when someone raised the question of when and where to add parsley. This was serious business – straight talk, man's talk – for I sat on the side, feeling utterly bored. Needing a drink.
So I quipped, "Really, sometimes I think I am the only guy here." They looked at me, stunned. Then one of them said, amazed, "But, mouton, that's just not possible. You are a woman." My retort, "Oh, are you sure? How do you know?" – "Because you are one. There are clear biological differences." There we go.
Not wanting to let it slide so easily, I continued, "But biology is a big word. Are we talking genetical, chromosomal, anatomical differences? How do you decide who falls into which category." (The rest of the table were rolling their eyes – not again.) "Well, if it has a penis, it is a man, if it hasn't, it is a woman." – "And intersex people?" The discussion somehow returned to cous-cous. Apparently, it is better with parsley.

2 comments:

Kuhnsn said...

Wer - verfickt nochmal - entscheidet eigentlich, wer ein Mann und wer eine Frau ist oder zu sein hat?

mouton grégaire said...

Das - das kann ich dir auch nicht sagen. Aber bestimmt gibt es da eine Norm nach ISO.